WINONA, Minn. — The Chamber Singers of Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota will perform in England as part of their 2017 concert tour.
The 25-voice select ensemble is directed by Dr. Patrick M. O’Shea, professor of music.
Tour performances will include the following liturgies and concerts:
- St. Francis Xavier Parish, La Grange, Ill., Sunday, Feb. 26, 9 a.m. Mass
- Church of St. Thomas the Martyr, Canterbury, Wednesday, March 1, 8 p.m. Ash Wednesday Mass
- Canterbury Cathedral, Thursday, March 2, noon mid-day concert
- Church of St. Paul Without The Walls, Canterbury, Thursday, March 2, 7:30 p.m. joint concert with the Caritas Chamber Choir
- Church of St. Ethelbert and St. Gertrude, Ramsgate, Friday, March 3, 7:30 p.m. concert
- St. Patrick’s Church, Soho Square, London, Saturday, March 4, 6 p.m. Mass
- Church of St. Aloysius Gonzaga (The Oratory), Oxford, Sunday, March 5, 11 a.m. Mass
All concerts are free and open to the public, and guests are welcome at the various liturgies. Repertoire will include a cappella works by Palestrina, Tavener, Debussy, Woollen, Lauridsen, and Nystedt. The concerts will feature the English premiere performances of “A Prayer of St. Anselm,” an English setting of a prayer of St. Anselm of Canterbury by Dr. O’Shea.
Upon their return, the Chamber Singers will present a free Homecoming Concert 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 9, at the Chapel of Saint Mary of the Angels, 7th and Vila streets, Winona.
Students will maintain a blog, as well as be capturing moments on social media throughout their trip. Catch their blog at smumn.edu/choirtour or check out the latest social media posts at www.smumn.edu/newsblog/social-media.
For more information, call 507-457-1598 or fax 507-457-1611.